Interesting People mailing list archives

Silliness in Action: California Poised for Cell Phone Ban

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:28:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bryan Price <bytehead () bytehead org>
Date: August 27, 2006 10:40:03 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com, smoke_dc () yahoo com
Subject: Re: [IP] Silliness in Action: California Poised for Cell Phone Ban

I am reminded of the night sitting in my apartment, having just gotten home from a bad day, and hearing an awful bang of an accident just outside. I opened the door to find one of the cars involved in the crash next to my deck. Amazingly, it looked just like my car. After a moment, I realized that it was, indeed, my car.

A teenager who had just bought the car that set off the excitement told the police officer, the couple that lived next to me and me that she was distracted from drive from trying to figure out where the windshield wipers were at. She hit the car behind me, a new Ford Escort that hadn't even had it's first payment made, although it was my car that actually stopper her. My car took out her right fender all the way to the back of her tire, and shoved my car car about 15 feet into the yard, which just missed the car in front of it, and managed to not take out my deck either. Now my car was a '73 Chrysler Newport, a large size car for that time, probably close in size to an H3. Her Buick was not as big as my car.

Now if we really want to take out distractions, I guess we can also get the windshield wipers too.

Or, as Lauren says, we actually get the drivers themselves for allowing themselves to be distracted.