Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Security theatre - KY is A-OK..

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:42:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: August 22, 2006 2:35:21 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: george.mcauliffe () gmail com
Subject: Re: [IP] Security theatre - KY is A-OK..

Indeed. I have already replaced my deodorant with a solid alum-based product, and my toothpaste with a fluoridated, minty powder.

The thing that has me confused is the use of the term "gel." Soap is not a liquid, but it's not a solid either and the best way to describe it would be as a "gel" (although I'm not a chemist). So if that's allowed, then wouldn't a typical solid underarm deodorant be allowed? Answer: not in the airports in Arizona and California I've been through the last week or so.

There's a great phrase on the TSA page saying "please don't overthink these rules."

I understand the frustration of the person writing that, but if they don't give us useful rules, then what's the point? To me, it's a HUGE difference if I have to check luggage, and I want to know what it is that I can take.

jms