Interesting People mailing list archives

Security theatre - KY is A-OK..

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:11:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: George McAuliffe <george.mcauliffe () gmail com>
Date: August 22, 2006 12:39:55 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Security theatre - KY is A-OK..

(pls withhold my name if published)

In this ongoing farce of airport security theatre, I can't tell you how relieved I am that my bottle of KY is safe from seizure...

TRAVEL WATCH
Neither Gel nor Liquid Be
By ELIZABETH HOLMES
August 22, 2006; Page D5

With new carry-on luggage restrictions in place indefinitely, air travelers are getting creative with toiletries. Solid shampoo anyone?

J.R. Liggett, president of retailer J.R. Liggett Ltd., Cornish, N.H., said he tested his Old-Fashioned Bar Shampoo product in the security lines at Salt Lake City International Airport on Aug. 13, shortly after news of the alleged United Kingdom terror plot broke. With the consistency and look of a bar of hand soap -- neither gel nor liquid -- the bar shampoo was allowed through in his carry-on luggage by security screeners, he reports.

A 3.5-ounce bar costs $5.99 and can be ordered at www.jrliggett.com1 .

There's also solid soap for the multitasking traveler. Lush Ltd., an English cosmetics company with 370 stores around the world, offers more than a dozen types of bar shampoo that can also be used as body and laundry soaps. Prices range from $7.65 to $12.65 per bar. Visit usa.lush.com for more information.

Confusion continues to grow over what items are permitted in carry-on luggage for U.S. flights. Nonsolid deodorants, lip glosses and mascara have been banned -- surprising some travelers. But four ounces of contact-lens solution, gel-filled bras and personal lubricants are allowed.

To clarify the new restrictions, the Transportation Security Administration released an extensive list of permitted and prohibited items on its Web site, www.tsa.gov2.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115620873914241787.html?mod=djemPJ