Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FBI Computer Upgrade Fiasco...WORTH READING

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 13:28:12 -0400

Dave, please do not use my name on this. I corresponded with an acquaintance that has worked for Lockheed Martin, and I brought up the subject. This was the take on the matter:

Lockheed has the worst people on Sentinel.  It is being run by a rag-tag
company called:  Lockheed Martin Information Technology (LMIT).  They
underbid other Lockheed companies and other contractors by millions and then
skimp on project.  The LMIT employees do not receive the Lockheed Martin
Pension plan (like the rest of the organization) as well as other key
benefits.

I was there for a few weeks and tried to tell the Program Manager the
project will fail unless they do certain fundamental things. They did not
want to hear it and said it is outside of budgetary scope.  Others tried
this, as well, and left as soon as they could. Whenever LMIT needs to meet a major milestone they call our business group, Lockheed Integrated Systems and
Solutions (IS&S) to quickly help.  LMIT then complains that IS&S is too
expensive and sends us back. The cycle repeats itself immediately before every milestone. People in IS&S cringe when LMIT calls because LMIT does not want to listen to sound systems engineering/architectural principles and
expects results without employing these same principles.

LMIT is sub-contracting work to CSC which is more horrific. They pay their
people far less and this translates to a lack of quality personnel.
Moreover, the LMIT staff and the CSC staff try to protect their own
interests and do not communicate in the clients' best interest in my humble opinion. They stuff four people from different companies in a tiny cubicle
and expect results.

The client is lacking talent as depicted in the article because they ...
do not always pick the most qualified people. Moreover, anyone
qualified will make more in the private sector. The article also mentions this.

By the way, staff who worked Trilogy at SIAC now work for LMIT. All they
did was to change jerseys.