Interesting People mailing list archives

more on who is to blame -- riaa

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:40:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Edward Almasy <ealmasy () axisdata com>
Date: August 19, 2006 11:38:34 AM EDT
To: Steve Lamont <spl () ncmir ucsd edu>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on who is to blame -- riaa

On Aug 19, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Steve Lamont wrote:
Reprehensible conduct?  Those are pretty strong words.

All I see are companies defending their own legal property rights,
just like a homeowner might defend their own property rights against a
neighbor taking a chunk of their land.

   The reprehensible conduct isn't the RIAA and
   company going through legal channels to defend
   their property rights;  it's the RIAA using their
   size and bankroll to intimidate people into
   capitulating to their demands without a legal fight.

   Almost all of the people the RIAA has gone after
   have never had their day in court to test whether
   the rule of law really is on the RIAA's side
   in their case, because they can't afford the legal
   costs to do so.  While it could be argued that the
   RIAA is still following the letter of the law in
   flexing their legal muscle, I think it's clear in
   most cases that their approach is rendering the
   spirit of the law moot.

   Ed