Interesting People mailing list archives

Travel report: Austin - Phila - Austin

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:36:47 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Updegrove <updegrove () mail utexas edu>
Date: August 14, 2006 3:15:55 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Travel report: Austin - Phila - Austin

Dave,

I flew Austin-Phila on Southwest Friday, and returned Sunday, with a change in Houston Hobby. In response to the new rules about liquids, gels, et al., I checked a bag that would otherwise have been carried on. Observations:

* Many more travelers appear to be checking bags
        - Lines to check bags seemed much longer
        - Time to retrieve bags on arrival is correspondingly extended
        - It's easier now to find empty space in the overhead bins
* Random secondary inspections of carry-ons at the gate can now be expected * No drinks can be carried through security or from the concourse onto planes
        - Bad news for food/beverage concessions outside security?
        - Seemed to be longer lines at concessions inside security
- Given all the time lost waiting in lines, many half-drunk lattes end up in trash cans

Latest rules can be found at the TSA website, http://www.tsa.gov/ & http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/new-items.shtm#1

As of yesterday, rules had been modified as follows:

August 13, 2006
(571) 227-2829

SECURITY LEVEL REMAINS THE SAME, TSA REFINES AND CLARIFIES BAN
Small doses of liquid medications permitted
Shoes removal required
Low blood sugar treatments including glucose gel for diabetics permitted
Clarifications include: aerosols prohibited, solid lipstick and baby food permitted. I conclude that if I'm willing to travel without toothpaste, shaving cream, and after shave, I can avoid checking my luggage. I'm going to trust that hotel gift shops and/or front-desk courtesy services will stock such items.

Safe travels!
Dan

VP for IT
The University of Texas at Austin