Interesting People mailing list archives

travel report from San Diego

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:12:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: August 14, 2006 1:18:49 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: travel report from San Diego

Dave,

We flew from San Deigo to Boston, via Philly, on the Friday night redeye. A few things to report:

No delays at San Diego airport - it was empty. The TSA inspectors were thorough, but more friendly than usual - actually somewhat apologetic about how the rules were changing minute by minute.

Two of three bags made it to Boston ok. The third one apparently was singled out for hand inspection and got to us late (dealing with US Air baggage services was a real pain, but we finally got the bag ok). The bag in question was the one we'd thrown all our toiletries into at the last moment (including liquids, gels, what have you). When we got it back, everything was where it had been, with the addition of a notecard from TSA saying that "by law we have to search checked baggage" and "yours was singled out for hand search." Very polite, very well done - and it actually put to rest the concern that I'd been wondering about, to wit, ok, now all this stuff is going into checked baggage - does that get searched or has the risk just gone up?

Cheers,

Miles