Interesting People mailing list archives

more on 1st Circuit rules on Councilman

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:59:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: September 6, 2005 3:40:40 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: Dave Crocker <dhc2 () dcrocker net>
Subject: RE: [IP] 1st Circuit rules on Councilman

The legal system is fundamentally about trusting the larger society rather than taking "the law" into our own hands and using weapons other the words
(and money).

The problem is that the fictions that allow us to accept the legal system
become stretched during transitions. It's even more problematic when we
have precedent vs science/engineering. I keep referring to the legal system and its tendency to bifurcate babies and compromise on pi being 3.07. I do
find it strange speech using electronics is different from speech using
sound waves or wood pulp.

This is why I fear a Supreme Court that strictly interprets the US
Constitution -- it is a document in a context. The writers themselves were struggling to come to terms with the new philosophical concepts of the day
and would have been surprised to see how well it has worked and probably
horrified that people took their words so literally.

Of course, loose interpretations can also be very dangerous ... but then is
the decision to extend Mickey forever loose or strict? I would like to
think there is privacy outside the confines of my house and that electronic invasions are still invasions. I sense that extending privacy is precisely
the kind of "tampering" that today's administration abhors.

But then why should we expect human systems to change in less than a few
generations simply because our understanding of basic concepts changes
daily. It's been less then two centuries and evolution is still viewed as
heresy.