Interesting People mailing list archives

Abandoned By Our Own Country

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:56:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rick DeAngelo <rick.deangelo () gmail com>
Date: September 6, 2005 1:08:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Abandoned By Our Own Country

Hello Dave,

Thank you for all of the years of maintaining the IP list. I thought this might be of interest to the everyone as it really brings home the effects of Hurricane Katrina and the Federal government's incompetance in responding.

Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parish in New Orleans, was on NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday, September 4, 2005. He gave a scathing assessment of how our government has failed us in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. But most notably, I was moved by his personal story of how someone's mother was trapped in a nursing home and subsequently died:

"The guy who runs this building I'm in, emergency management, he's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said, 'Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?' And he said, 'Yeah, Mama, somebody's coming to get you. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday.' And she drowned Friday night. She drowned Friday night." -- Jefferson Parish President Broussard

Video clip: http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/09/04.html#a4783

Full Meet the Press transcript (Broussard's comments appear about halfway down): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9179790/

Regards,

Rick DeAngelo