Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "United States of Shame"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 20:50:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Warren Magnus <wmagnus () samespace com>
Date: September 3, 2005 6:55:06 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on "United States of Shame"

Dave:

I note that there is much finger pointing at the local and state governments by those politically aligned on the right. I suppose this is to be expected, but on August 28, the formal request for FEMA involvement and disaster aid went out. <http://gov.louisiana.gov/ Disaster%20Relief%20Request.pdf>

The President Declared a disaster nearly immediately after that, making FEMA resources available and theoretically engaging the DHS.

Supposedly by Monday afternoon, there was talk of FEMA evaluating damage on the ground, events as unfolded on the Times-Picayune newslog. <http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times- Picayune/archives/2005_08.html#074879>.

Even as I write this things are unfolding in a much more disturbing way. The ball has been dropped so badly by this administration that war has essentially been declared on the very people who need the help of the military.
<http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1077495.php>
<http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx? type=domesticNews&storyID=2005-09-03T202355Z_01_FOR373303_RTRIDST_0_USRE PORT-WEATHER-KATRINA-HELPLESS-DC.XML>

This is not a rebellion. This is a battle for survival brought about the total inability of the gutted FEMA and its lords at the DHS being prepared for the wrong kind of homeland risk. Terrorism is no threat compared to what can happen due to natural disaster and we as a nation have totally blown it.

There is no war on terror that we can win so long as our own people are dying in the streets of their home towns due to disease, dehydration and at the hands of our own defenders.

Do I point fingers? You bet. Can we fix things immediately? No, but there needs to be a clear responsibility where the buck must ultimately stop.

We have a naval vessel named after Harry Truman heading to the Gulf of Mexico. That man understood where the buck stopped. This President does not and he needs to be held accountable for his bad management.

-W