Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "United States of Shame"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 20:48:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: jchobbs3 () bellsouth net
Date: September 3, 2005 8:36:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on "United States of Shame"

Dave

Thanks for forwarding Norman's note....appears to be the thoughtful work of a somewhat non-partisan commentator. Easy to pick apart "weird" comments from all sides....like a reported Kennedy comment that God was punishing the Mississippi Governor or the weird "an atomic" bomb in the mix was not contemplated by the Director of Homeland Security! Look at the history folks,big # 4 or 5 storms have been banging the gulf coast since way before "global warming" and large concentrations of populations on the coasts!

Admittedly,the underlying problems are truly horrific in an area the size of the UK and many of your post's correctly highlight potential contributing factor "politics as usual" reality such as the $232M Alaska "bridge to no where" funding appropriation in the recent Congressional transportation bill vs alledged Corps of Engineer budget cuts in New Orleans as a classic example. We gotta find a better way to allocate budget resources....current "bring home the bacon" for a bingo museum mentality has become too bizzare.....because recently neither political party appears interested in taxpayer "bang for the buck"

So,I have not been active on you IP site for many years,but as I recall from very early days,used to be mostly folks of science and technology. Accordingly,I am somewhat dismayed to see people casting specific pin point blame without emperical evidence or certainty! [ this is indicative of the general hostility the previous two administrations have caused in the USA the blues hated one president and the reds the other. djf] Yea,so the President did not tear up like perhaps Bill Clinton might have during a speech....is that proof positive that he does not care about the plight of the homeless poor people in NO??

This is a big country with complex governmental structures and probably way too much bureaucracy....even the much debated requirement that New Orleans Police department officers must reside in the city limits probably had an impact. However, as Norman implies below,viewed as comparative case studies,the Mississippi governor appears to have better anticipated the scope of the challenges than counterparts to the west next door. Admittedly,the subsequent flooding in NO makea an absolute comparision somewhat bogus.

For the record it would be interesting to know, how many previous administrations of either party have been declared or designated geographical disaster areas before the disaster?

Not trying to start a fight here,let's just get the folks rescued and safe before tossing the political grenades in our red state vs blue state battles! At the end of the day,what counts is learning from the mis-judgements of all stakeholders and never repeating the same mistakes again.

Jim