Interesting People mailing list archives

more on editors query

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:40:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: steven cherry <steven () panix com>
Date: September 26, 2005 9:28:48 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] editors query

The short answer is, no, there's no quick abstracting tool.

As to the question of fair use and whole articles, versus snippets,
my own opinion, and not speaking for my employer, is that it is
a fair use. And as a writer, I have to say, I love for my words
to be read - any way they get into people's hands is fine.

That said, when I forward items in our publication that I think would be of interest to the list, I usually send a snippet. We prefer that articles be read at our site, not just for the pageview traffic, but because the articles look better, they read better, they contain their links to sidebars, and, most importantly, they have any corrections or changes or forward links we may have added since publication. If it were just the immediate IP readership,
it would be less of a big deal. But IP is archived widely around
the Web.

For those reasons, snippets are usually better. As it turns out, most feature stories are written in such a way that while the
first couple of paragraphs don't, as you note, give the right
sense of an article, the first one-sixth or so usually does. In
a Spectrum article, it's usually (not always) everything up to
the first paragraph that has a bold lead-in. Posting those first
paragraphs (it's usually about 10-12 paragraphs, in a full-length
feature story), along with something like [more] or [etc], to
let IP readers know that's not the whole article, might be an
effective good compromise.

 Steven

--
  Steven Cherry, +1 212-419-7566