Interesting People mailing list archives

Question about your NPR censoring Katrina e-mail

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:28:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andi Sporkin <ASporkin () npr org>
Date: September 19, 2005 7:30:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, info () raisch com
Subject: Question about your NPR censoring Katrina e-mail

Dave and Rob—

I’m head of communications at NPR and your “NPR Censors Katrina Report?” e-mail, forwarded to me by a friend, has me scratching my head. NPR’s been very aggressive in its coverage of all aspects of the hurricane story – including Robert Siegel’s tough interview of Michael Chertoff on Sept 1 that challenged the Secretary’s claims, which has been credited in numerous columns and blogs, and September 9’s 22-minute special report by Danny Zwerdling and Laura Sullivan about what went wrong (one of the first in-depth investigations to air) – so censorship of any kind would be truly out of the question. It sounds like a technical error at some unknown end, and I was hoping you could advise me the program and station you were listening to, so I can figure this out. If you could provide that, it would be appreciated…and it would resolve this mystery.

Thanks,

Andi Sporkin

Vice President for Communications

NPR