Interesting People mailing list archives

Microphones placed near keyboards can record keystrokes.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:50:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bradley Malin <malin () cs cmu edu>
Date: September 13, 2005 5:31:26 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, joehall () pobox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Microphones placed near keyboards can record keystrokes.

I just read the paper and I agree, this is good research. However, while it's flashy, it's not much of a breakthrough. At its foudation, this paper combines two known concepts:

1) Asonov's finding (their reference [1]) that microphones capture different sounds for different keys, and

2) Probabilistic models (i.e. HMM's and mixture models) for resolving patterns in the acoustic components akin to speech recognition models.

Novelty, yes.  Breakthrough, no.

Also note, while the authors don't exactly lie, they do sweep certain aspects of their claims under the rug. Specifically, they claim they can detect words in an unsupervised setting (i.e. they don't train a classifier for words like Asonov did). However, this is not really true outside of pedantic machine learning jargon. A quick sketch of my claim follows.

Every keytype pattern which they extract is compared to an English dictionary. So, really what they do is input an acoustic emanation (space delimited) and convert into a string where each sound gets a character. Then, they compare each sequence of characters to words in the dictionary and return the English word with the most similar pattern. Thus, while Asonov compared his acoustic patterns to "trained" neural-net classifiers of acoustics, the authors of this paper are comparing their sequences of characters to a standardized set of sequences of characters (i.e. English words).

One more thing, their "unsupervised" learning model only accounts for words which are in the dictionary. If the word is not in the dictionary, then the authors move to a "supervised" (or trained) system. Specifically, they "use the previously obtained corrected results [word matches] as labeled training samples". So, password snarfing is achievable, but you may have to train your system against each user.

hopefully not offending anyone,

-brad
Bradley Malin, PhD candidate
Carnegie Mellon University