Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FEMA Had Authority to Act, even without Emergency Declaration; So what?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:22:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Andrew D. Swart" <andrew () swart com>
Date: September 13, 2005 4:54:00 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "'Munro, Neil'" <NMunro () nationaljournal com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on FEMA Had Authority to Act, even without Emergency Declaration; So what?

FEMA Had Authority to Act, even without Emergency Declaration.

Neil wrote:

So what?

I think the key point of that note was that government officials have
stated repeatedly and continue to state that FEMA didn't have authority
to act.  So what?  Well, it appears that they are either lying or are
sufficiently misinformed to be incompetent.

While you correctly point out that pre-storm evacuation challenges are
very real and enormous -- I think your note suggested that they would be
impossible to overcome in our political system -- the question on most
people's minds is why the feds didn't deliver aid in the days
immediately following the storm.  The Navy reportedly deployed and stood
by awaiting orders, as did many individuals and companies with assets
who could help.  All presumably contacted the organization that most
visibly handles national disasters -- FEMA -- and were reportedly told
to stand by.  [I'm curious:  did FEMA say they weren't in charge and to
please contact the governor instead?]

Of course, "politics is hard", as you say.  But you're trying to
changing the subject from "why no immediate response?" to "how do you
handle evacuations in our political context"?

Andrew Swart