Interesting People mailing list archives

Verizon Wireless Takes Legal Action Against Florida,California Telemarketers to Defend Customers' Privacy

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:50:20 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Bob Frankston"<Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Sent: 02/09/05 1:23:23 PM
To: "dave () farber net"<dave () farber net>, "'Ip Ip'"<ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Verizon Wireless Takes Legal Action Against Florida,California Telemarketers to Defend Customers'
Privacy

Given number portability (and forwarding and enum and VoIP and ...) how can
you determine whether you are calling a cell phone? The idea of charging
users for incoming "minutes" is problematic anyway if there is no control
on your availability. As we've seen, anything associated with cellular
telephony is considered special. It's OK to have your phone ring when
you're in the bathroom but we mustn't let your cell phone ring while you
are in a park.

The surprise is that there aren't more problems. For about an hour this
week I was getting a anonymous (no caller-ID) calls every few minutes on my
Vonage line with no way to block it. Fax has the same problems -- I get a
few junk faxes a day via efax and now presume all fax is junk unless
someone tells me that they are going to send me one.

As an aside, it's interesting to see particular kinds of spam associated
with different media. Why do notary publics and Orlando vacations seem to
be favorites for fax spam. It seems to be part of a large sense that there
are actually amazingly few prime spam sources that just have a large
footprint. Sort of like all the thousands of letters asking for censorship
which can be traced back to a single source. It would be interesting to map
these flows.

I appreciate VZW trying to protect their customers but ultimately the
solution is to give the customers control rather than trying to ...

[Message truncated. Tap Edit->Mark for Download to get remaining portion.]