Interesting People mailing list archives

A $79.95 Opportunity to Breeze Through Security

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:01:16 -0400

September 13, 2005
A $79.95 Opportunity to Breeze Through Security

By JOE SHARKEY
NOT to put too fine a point on it, but I'd rather take a whack up the side of the head with a sack of cobblestones than wait in a long line to be treated badly when my turn comes.

This helps explain why I told Steve Brill last week to please take my $79.95 and sign me up. Mr. Brill, who founded Court TV and The American Lawyer magazine, is now the chief executive of a company called Verified Identity Pass. If Mr. Brill gets his way (and he usually does), his company's Clear Registered Traveler Program could soon have many members paying $79.95 each year to obtain an identity card that allows them to pass through airport checkpoints without being treated like a prisoner being hustled to the cellblock.

The program is only now in an early test phase at Orlando International Airport in Florida. It's one of six registered-traveler programs that have been tried this year at various airports.

Mr. Brill's program had about 7,000 enrolled members within a month after it started in mid-July, and he predicts it will have 10,000 "within a few weeks." Other pilot programs, which are administered by the Transportation Security Administration and don't charge a fee, are limited to 2,000 members at each participating airport.

What they all have in common is the means to let travelers identify themselves with a thin card encoded with their biometric data - iris and fingerprint scans - that the T.S.A. has checked against what Mr. Brill's company describes as "various terrorist-threat-related databases" and concluded that you have passed muster.

The reward for that is expedited passage through security in a designated lane, along with the assurance that you won't be randomly hauled aside for one of those secondary inspections and pat downs. Other future benefits, Mr. Brill said, might exempt travelers from much disliked rules like having to take off their shoes or remove laptops from their cases.

Suppose your airline has marked your boarding pass with the dreaded SSSS symbol. That supposedly means you probably did something suspicious, like flying on a one-way ticket or abruptly changing a reservation, both, of course, common behavior for business travelers. Whip out your registered traveler card and, voilĂ , the S's disappear, Mr. Brill said.

"When you come to our kiosk and put in your card with your prints, our attendant puts a big T.S.A. stamp on your boarding pass that overrides the four S's," he said.

A survey this year by the National Business Travel Association and the Travel Industry Association of America found that 53 percent of business travelers said they would pay an annual fee to participate in a registered-traveler program.

Mr. Brill's initiative was timely. It was also carefully designed to allay concerns about the potential for invasion of privacy whenever the government gets a green light to conduct background checks.

To obtain a Clear Registered Traveler card, an applicant provides the company with his or her name, address, birth date, Social Security number, and two forms of government-issued ID. Digital images of an applicant's fingerprints and irises are made. The biographical and digital information is then sent to the T.S.A., which checks it. Mr. Brill's company says it guarantees restitution of any financial loss that might arise from the "highly unlikely event" that its basic information on you is used for identity theft.

The company does not get access to the T.S.A.'s evaluation, nor to any financial or other information on the applicant. Neither the company nor the applicant is told why an applicant is rejected.

Still, privacy advocates are watching registered-travel programs with some trepidation. "They're saying, 'Hey, kids, are you interested in moving through the line faster? Come on down and sign up for this card, and if you pass the secret test, you'll get one of these things. But if you aren't cool enough to pass, we're not going to tell you why,' " said Bill Scannell, a privacy advocate and a former military intelligence officer.

Not all frequent travelers like the idea. David J. Silbey, a history professor who travels frequently, said that expediting the journey comfortably for the most frequent, and therefore most influential, travelers could "reduce pressure significantly" to enact necessary changes in standard airport security.

How big is the potential market for a fee-based registered-traveler card? "There is an industry here," said Mr. Brill, who estimates his start-up costs at $2 million for each airport. "There are probably eight million people in the United States who would buy this over the next five to six years, and we think we can get a third of the market."

E-mail: jsharkey () nytimes com