Interesting People mailing list archives

FEMA Had Authority to Act, even without Emergency Declaration

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:02:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Lyon <jelyon () mac com>
Date: September 13, 2005 5:08:31 AM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: [For IP] FEMA Had Authority to Act, even without Emergency Declaration

For IP, if appropriate. It's a transcript of the prologue from last
weekend's public radio program "This American Life." <http:// thislife.org>.

Ira Glass: OK, in the coming weeks and months we're all going to be hearing so much about hurricane Katrina, and why the government's response was so
abysmal. And already the blame shifting is like this prize fight that's
already in it's third or fourth round.

Already we've heard officials try to shrug off any attempts of
accountability by saying it's too soon, by saying we're not going to play
the "blame game."

And before the million details, and arguments and counter arguments start to
make all of our heads woozy, I would just like to repeat here, something
that was talked about very briefly this week.

One of those things that seems so fundamental, that seems to cut through a lot this supposed debate that's happening and end it definitively. So much so that when I would see people on TV posturing and trotting out the talking
points, I kept wanting to go back and say "Nonononono, don't forget this
thing."

It has to do with the biggest argument out there right now.

Whether the federal government was in fact supposed to be in charge of
rescuing people and getting food and water and all that to New Orleans. It's come up a lot, like when the head of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff was
asked by Tim Russert on Meet the Press, "Since you knew the storm was
coming, why didn't you get buses and trains and planes and trucks in there
to evacuate?"

Chertoff...said it wasn't his job.

Chertoff: Tim, the the way that, that that emergency operations act under, under the law is, the responsibility, and the, the uh power, the authority
rests with the state and local officials.

Glass: This idea, that it was state and local officials who were the ones
who blew it, not the feds, this idea is all over place.