Interesting People mailing list archives

From Neil Munro; This is why I love IP.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 06:23:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Benjamin Kuipers <kuipers () cs utexas edu>
Date: October 5, 2005 10:26:44 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, Benjamin Kuipers <kuipers () cs utexas edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] From Neil Munro; This is why I love IP.

Neil Munro is polite and condescending, giving the naive children a little pat on the head for their cute beliefs, but he is still wrong. And seriously wrong, spreading a common but false meme that tends to prolong violent conflict all over the world.

There's an obvious and important difference between ending conflict by defeating the other side, making them powerless to fight on, and negotiating peace based on the mutual perception that continued violence isn't approaching either side's goals. The latter is what is happening in Ireland.

As we see in asymmetric conflicts such as Iraq, "fear that the enemy can inflict even greater violence and pain" is doing us little or no good against the insurgents. They are willing to absorb the large amounts of violence, pain, and death our troops are capable of dishing out, particularly knowing that most of it will fall on non- combatant locals, turning them against our side, and helping them recruit more supporters.

To the extent that we are making any progress in Iraq at all, it is through the restraint that our troops often show, allowing them to apply non-violent "weapons" that are more effective than violence. If we can restore and protect the infrastructure, improving the lives of everyday Iraqis, we gain ground. If we can pursuade Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds to participate together in elections, we gain ground. If we can encourage those three distinct groups to think of themselves as Iraqis, and see the insurgents as foreigners, we gain ground. If we can convince the Iraqi people that the insurgents are more responsible for their problems than we are, we gain ground.

The insurgents rely on being able to "swim like fish in the sea of the people" (paraphrasing Mao). When the ordinary people see them as threats to their well-being, and trust the authorities enough to turn them in, the insurgents will be finished.

Certainly, to have the time to accomplish this essentially non- violent change, you have to avoid getting killed in the process. But that kind of self-protection is a far cry from crushing your opponent through violence and pain.

Sainthood is not required. What is required is empowering the great majority of people on all sides who just want to be left alone to tend to their own affairs. And marginalizing politicians who hope to gain power by fanning ethnic hatred. And achieving a level of trust in the civil society, so that ordinary people will act in small ways everywhere to protect it.

It is attitudes like those expressed by Neil Munro that led American leaders to charge into Iraq with guns blazing, believing that the quick defeat of Saddam's army would bring glory and peace. It might have been possible to bring peace and democracy to Iraq. It's even conceivable that it is still possible. But I have seen no evidence that our current national leaders have the least clue how to do it.

Ben Kuipers