Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Terminati on Fees Hurt Consumers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:08:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Beck <cbeck () pacanukeha net>
Date: October 16, 2005 2:44:15 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Terminati on Fees Hurt Consumers

Rumour has it David Farber, on or about 16.Oct.2005 14:22, whispered:

*What?* Are you seriously arguing that the carriers should be _required_
to give you service even if they fear they're going to lose money by
serving you?  Are you insane?

No. What he is saying, even though he doesn't realise it, is that free-market
economics do not apply when
a) the cost of entry is billions of dollars and
b) the number of competitors is less than x (where x is a number between 5 and 30 and a Nobel Prize in economics will be awarded to the person/ people who
develop the formula to calculate it)

There does not appear to be any real competition between cell phone providers and without competition there is no need to worry about customer satisfaction. Certainly they hate each other and desperately want each other's customers but there does not seem to be any creativity or variation in providing the service -
and that, to me, is the key indicator of competition.

I leave the solution as an exercise for the reader.

--
Chris Beck  -  http://pacanukeha.blogspot.com
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis