Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Terminati on Fees Hurt Consumers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:21:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: steven cherry <steven () panix com>
Date: October 16, 2005 10:56:47 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Terminati on Fees Hurt Consumers

Dave,

Nowhere in Mr Mills' whiny little rant does he acknowledge that all the nationwide carriers let you "test drive" your phone for at least two weeks before locking you into your contract. If the carrier you picked doesn't have good coverage in your home, around your neighborhood, at work, and other key (for you) locations, it shouldn't take you more than two weeks to figure that out.

Mills asks, "If I buy a car and then return it because it doesn't work, should the dealer be able to charge me a fee for selling it to me?" as if his family's phones don't work at all. But the problem is they don't work in a way that meets his not-necessarily-reasonable expectations. Mills is buying a Miata and then complaining it doesn't hold a family of five. If he then bought a mini-van, he'd complain about its gas consumption and how long it takes to get up to highway speed.

Every phone store I've ever walked into has a big map for each of the services that are sold there, with huge disclaimers that the maps are only approximations and not guarantees of coverage. How much more of a clue does Mills need that not every phone sold by each carrier works in every location?

I don't mind that Mills doesn't look at maps, doesn't listen to salespeople, and doesn't read his contract. But he might want to do at least one of those things before publishing articles on a subject, or at least before cluttering up the IP list with them.

--
   Steven Cherry, +1 212-419-7566
   Senior Associate Editor