Interesting People mailing list archives

Illegals, not poor evacuees, to rebuild New Orleans

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 07:22:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suzanne Johnson <sjohnson () pobox com>
Date: October 15, 2005 12:10:39 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Fwd: For IP?: Illegals, not poor evacuees, to rebuild New Orleans

(sent by  John Reece <reece () pobox com>)

Here's another foreign vs. native worker issue.   Seems contractors
are almost exclusively recruiting the undocumented to rebuild New Orleans:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/10/12/ MNG53F74SK1.DTL

Other articles cite wages of $15-17 hour. This begs a question I have yet to see the media ask: what happened to all those black New Orleans residents too poor to afford transportation out of town we heard so much about a few weeks ago? The contractors are advertising on Univision. What about BET (Black Entertainment Television)????

JR