Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Unsecured Wi-Fi would be outlawed by N.Y. county

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:23:06 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Johan Ovlinger <johan () ccs neu edu>
Date: November 6, 2005 9:04:40 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Unsecured Wi-Fi would be outlawed by N.Y. county

Dave, I'd appreciate it if you were to fwd this to your list, if you deem it worthwhile.

Thanks

Begin forwarded message:
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: November 5, 2005 8:21:13 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] re: Unsecured Wi-Fi would be outlawed by N.Y. county
[Note:  This comment comes from reader Thomas Leavitt.  DLH]

Tort liability for negligent administration of confidential personal
information is the proper means of addressing the problem.

Perhaps the more legislativly savvy among the IP readership can explain this to me; I've long wondered why most laws specify mechanism, rather than result. As a non-internet example, leash-laws are obviously meant to control the dog, but since neither the weight of the leash-holder nor the strength of the leash is specified, whether the dog is actually controlled or not is a bit of a gamble. In constrast, my last dog (sadly dead more than a decade ago) needed no leash to be controlled.

Why is this?

Why not just propose laws that mandate that private information not be disclosed or made vunerable, and let the individuals choose how to implement that requirement?

I really don't mean to preach; the point of this query is specifically to delve into why laws are drafted in the way they are, rather than to ridicule existing ones.

Johan