Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Com Copp's statement re FCC Approves of Mergers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:58:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam Peake <ajp () glocom ac jp>
Date: November 1, 2005 8:26:56 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] FCC Approves of Mergers

Commissioner Copps' statement on the mergers and state of US telecoms. Well worth reading

(Thanks to Susan Crawford's blog for the pointer <http:// scrawford.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2005/10/31/1333593.html> and great comment.)

Adam

<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-261936A4.doc>

STATEMENT OF
COMMISSIONER MICHAEL J. COPPS,
CONCURRING

Re: SBC Communications Inc. and AT&T Corp. Applicants for Approval of Transfer
of Control, Memorandum Opinion and Order (WC Docket No. 05-65)

Verizon Communications Inc. and MCI, Inc. Applications for Approval of
Transfer of Control, Memorandum Opinion and Order (WC Docket No. 05-75)

The mergers before us are about more than the union of this country's largest telecommunications carriers. They are about consumers' phone bills, the availability of competitive broadband options and the future of the Internet. But in a sense, these mergers can also be seen as an epitaph for the competition that many of us thought we would enjoy as a result of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. That legislation, I am convinced, envisioned a vastly different communications landscape than the one we find ourselves living in today.

If you seek the reason why we haven't arrived at that happy valley of competition rife with consumer benefits, you can start with the misdirected policies of the FCC over the last several years. On too many fronts, the Commission put the spear to the pro-competitive policies of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. It put intra-modal competition for the residential market pretty much beyond reach for new entrant carriers and then proceeded to inhibit enterprise competition, too. We turned our eyes away when enforcement was needed to keep bottleneck facilities open. And all the while we kept singing confidently "Don't Worry, Be Happy" --inter-modal competition is going to save us with all its new options. Maybe, but then again maybe not"-- we're still waiting. I think we ought to be concerned. Thanks in part to our actions, the wireline market became increasingly the province of the few. More than half of the wireless market came under the control of incumbent wireline providers. New services like VoIP have been held back by the high cost of broadband in this country. And now the Internet backbone seems headed in the same direction of control by a favored few.

This state of affairs is not of my making or choosing. The record shows that I objected vociferously to many of these changes. I would have chosen a very different path than the one we travel today. But in the end, we are charged with considering these mergers in the context of the world that is, not the one that might have been.

In this environment, I believe my responsibility is to identify and fight for what we can preserve, so that American consumers can still enjoy some competition in telecom services; that business customers, too, can benefit from competitive rates and innovative service choices and lower prices; and that, when it comes to the Internet, we can all go where we want to go and do what we want to do with this dynamic tool that is so critical to our nation's future. These things are all clearly in the public interest.

The Order the Commission adopts today falls far short of ideal. Maybe a better way to put it on this Halloween Day is to say: It's not a trick or much of a treat, but it's all you get if you come knocking at the Commission's door today. Yet, clearly, this is better than approving these mergers without any conditions. (rest at the fcc URL above)

Begin forwarded message: