Interesting People mailing list archives

The Onion strikes back

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:31:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Craton <scraton () alltel net>
Date: November 5, 2005 9:59:17 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: The Onion strikes back

Hi Dave:

     As an avid reader of The Onion for several years, I've been
waiting for some sort of subtle jab by the satirical journal in response
to the administration's cease and desist request of the use of the
presidential seal:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42166

<snip>

"Administration critics have suggested that the president's plan is too narrow in scope, and leaves Americans susceptible to contact with a wide variety of other dangerous birds.

"What about less prominent but far more abundant fowl common to residential areas, such as bluebirds, cardinals, or geese—shouldn't they die, too?" said Democratic Party strategist Elaine Quigley, appearing on MSNBC's Hardball. "Benjamin Franklin once said that the wild turkey, not the bald eagle, should be the emblematic bird of America. Why aren't we executing
those, too?"

The Office Of The White House Counsel, which oversees the usage of all executive-branch insignias,
is expected to approve a new eagle-free presidential seal as early as
next week."

Regards,

Steve