Interesting People mailing list archives

more Google

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:44:57 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis: Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com>
Date: November 4, 2005 9:55:59 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more Google

Dave,

I have read with great interest all the arguments back and forth on this issue and I have seen some great creativity on both sides in justifying the various positions. It appears people have put a great deal of thought into the law and technologies involved with this issue as it touches us all in some way.

I do not claim to know in advance the results of any legal challenges issued (and the arguments on both sides are quite interesting). But at the end of the day, doesn't this all boil down to a company (and its supporters) telling us:
"it's for your own good"
"it's not really that bad"

Funny thing about people telling me its for my own good. Ever since my parents said it when I was 2 years old I learned to react negatively to it. Same thing with 'its not that bad'. That usually was followed by some vile medecine that left my tongue hopelessly curled for hours and gave a bitter after taste to everything.

Telling us we are better off and saying the violations are that much of a violation seems to be imbued with great hubris. And doomed to fail. I dont think anyone ever got away with 'its for your own good' long-term or even medium term. Sooner that later people wake up and say 'waitasec here!'

It saddens me because I like google.
Some of my best friends work there and I respect their work immensely.
It just seems like google is becoming 'stubborn' like all the rest of the successful companies. Too bad :(

Google: give us back our choice. Even if it's just for show. Even if only one person makes use of it. That is the way to do it.

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec