Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Peter Swire on why Alito's co-authored report isn't very informative [priv]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:43:54 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Swire <peter () peterswire net>
Date: November 4, 2005 8:52:47 AM EST
To: 'Marc Rotenberg' <rotenberg () epic org>, 'Declan McCullagh' <declan () well com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Peter Swire on why Alito's co-authored report isn't very informative [priv]

Dear Declan and Dave:

        I'm not sure how helpful it would be to have another round on the
implications of the group paper that Alito participated in 1972. Marc and I
have already had our shot.

        If you decide to do another round based on Marc's email this
morning, then I would hope it could be paired with my additional short
comments.

        1.  The 1972 group paper, written long ago and by committee, should
not provide a basis for those skeptical of Judge Alito to support him or to
believe that he secretly harbors support for a constitutional right to
privacy. As Declan has shown, his recent judicial writings have read 4th Amendment privacy rights very narrowly. Those writings are by him and are
recent, in contrast to the paper from over 30 years ago.

        2.  In privacy debates, there is a recent example of privacy groups
getting hopeful based on earlier quotes, and then being very disappointed. On January 17, 2001 EPIC headlined its newsletter with pro-privacy quotes
from Attorney-General nominee John Ashcroft.  Just four years earlier
Ashcroft had said in a speech:

     The outrages against privacy committed by federal law
     enforcement agencies means one thing: Now, more than ever,
     we must protect citizens' privacy from the excesses of an
     arrogant, overly powerful government.

     Law enforcement is using advances in digital technology as
     an excuse to insist on intrusions into privacy that were
     never allowed in the pre-digital era.

Those were Ashcroft's own words, not long before his nomination.

        Do not read too much into a group college paper from over 30 years
ago.

        Peter

Prof. Peter P. Swire
C. William O'Neill Professor of Law