Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ThePrivacyPlace.Org 2005 Privacy Survey is Underway

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:33:34 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Alberti <alberti () sanction net>
Date: November 3, 2005 6:24:45 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: aianton () mindspring com
Subject: RE: [IP] ThePrivacyPlace.Org 2005 Privacy Survey is Underway

Having taken this brief survey, I have only one concern. The survey seems
to assume that one believes that the online privacy policies reflect any
actual practices, or are backed up by any enforcement.

While I believe that major organizations such as eBay, Amazon, or major U.S. retailers operate under laws and regulations that offer a course of redress
against violations of their own policies, I don't believe those policies
actually offer me much protection. The likelihood that I would be able in
the event of a policy violation to trace it back to one of those
organizations seems extremely slim.  That I could do so in a manner that
would stand up in court seems even less likely. That chance that I could
bring a complaint against a major organization that would result in
significant redress seems vanishingly small.

And with any organization less well-known than a U.S. retailer, I just cross
my fingers and hope everything works out.

My personal practice is instead to keep a close eye on my financial and
personal data reports (credit card bills, phone records, etc.) in order to
catch any abuses as soon after they occur as possible.

So one question that seems to be missing from this survey might be "Do you believe the privacy policies you read online amount to a hill of beans when
it comes to providing any real protection against identity theft or data
loss?"

My answer would be "no," for several reasons.

1) These policies are fluid. I could post my information on Monday under very strict policies, and return on Tuesday to find that all of the policies have been revised. What, then, is the protection of the data I posted on
Monday?

2) The organizations involved could be anywhere, and not subject to national or international laws. Registrar listings and network traces are of limited use. If the Russian mafia wants my credit card info, all they need to do is
register with U.S. based front organizations, and I'd have little way to
tell.

3) Even if an organization were legitimate today, it could be purchased
tomorrow by a company with a completely different set of privacy laws. How
would my information be protected if today's small U.S. Pharmaceutical
retailer is purchased tomorrow by an investment firm registered out of
Bermuda?

4) Where's the inforcement and regulation? Where are the "Net Police"? To
whom could I turn were I to have a complaint?

Given the current state of affairs on the Internet, I don't read the Privacy Policies because I don't think they offer me any real protection. I depend instead on the good reputation of known, stable organizations, and try to
remain vigilant against any abuses.

Beyond that, I cross my fingers.

Bob Alberti, CISSP, President                        Sanction, Inc.
Phone: (612) 486-5000 ext 211                         PO Box 583453
http://www.sanction.net                         Mpls, MN 55458-3453

"They SAY that your network is secure, but how can you be certain?"