Interesting People mailing list archives

more on TiVo to Bring TV to iPod and PSP

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:05:11 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam Thornton <adam () io com>
Date: November 30, 2005 3:28:57 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on TiVo to Bring TV to iPod and PSP

For IP, if you want, in reply to Ted Nelson:

On Nov 30, 2005, at 1:22 PM, Ted Nelson wrote:
Wait a minute, you can buy prebuilt
 ham radios, but not MythTVs.  How come?

There is an incomprehensible MythTV "store" at mythic.tv,
 but the only prebuilt it offers is a $1600 model for HDTV.

Why don't people get it???  There's a MARKET out there, guys!

Perhaps people "don't get it" because selling such a thing is very likely to be prosecutable under the DMCA. An open-source Tivo-alike would almost certainly not kneecap the user's ability to record what he or she wanted, keep it around indefinitely, and remix it. As such it will be unacceptable to the copyright holders. Free software is much harder to successfully prosecute than a company selling actual hardware from an actual physical location. Any company that started making these things cheap and selling lots of them would, I suspect, attract a great deal of unwanted attention.

There are, of course, alternatives to MythTV that require a good deal less undocumented and esoteric knowledge: I myself use a Mac Mini and EyeHome/EyeTV, VLC, iTunes, and a few other bits and pieces. None of it was particularly difficult to set up.

Adam