Interesting People mailing list archives

American corporations wouldn't sponsor the Darwin exhibit

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:18:59 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        American corporations wouldn't sponsor the Darwin exhibit
Date:   Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:40:44 -0500
From:   Steven M. Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
To:     dave () farber net

According to the Telegraph, a British news paper, the exhibit on Charles Darwin at the American Museum of Natural History in New York has been unable to attract any corporate sponsors.

        "It is a disgrace that large companies should shy away from
        such an important scientific exhibition," said a trustee
        of another prominent museum in the city, who was told of
        the exhibition's funding problem by a trustee of the AMNH.

        "They tried to find corporate sponsors, but everyone backed
        off."

More details at
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/11/20/wdarwin20.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/11/20/ixportal.html

Perhaps equally interesting, as far as I or Google News can tell, no American news website has picked up the story, even though it's been out there for three days. Is it that the story couldn't be confirmed? To me it would certainly seem newsworthy.