Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Coming to TV: ads about you

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 04:43:49 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [IP] Coming to TV: ads about you
Date:   Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:17:55 -0500
From:   Andrew Lippman <lip () media mit edu>
To:     dave () farber net

For IP, if interested.

With respect to ads about you:

The notion that a broadcaster radiates a signal with no respect for whether anyone is interested in receiving it is a waste of spectrum, energy, and time. It doesn't make sense to my students at all -- some think it is the equivalent of spam. Personally, I never understood why over-the-air broadcasters don't listen, but a back channel makes perfect sense for cable.

When I watched the 2000 election returns at CBS, in New York, by 11:30PM, it seemed perfectly clear that Dan Rather would learn little more that night, so he simply ought to have told his audience to "go to bed, and if anything important happens, I'll call you..." But he couldn't.

It's also potentially beneficial to narrowcast advertising. Twenty years ago, a Peabody, Mass., cable system tested phone-in requests for ads that were then queued on three dedicated channels. People did it. Many ads are both interesting and informative the first time you see them; some countries used to place them all at the ends of programs and people willingly remained tuned in. I might consider explicitly telling "The Daily Show" or CBS what I wanted my ad profile to be like. I'd even write a program to keep it current: "tell me about energy-saving thermostats real soon..."

It's quite a different matter to monitor what you view from a recorder, and quite another matter to take information without asking, and this is indeed an assault on commonly accepted norms of privacy with respect to television viewing. There is no reason for those norms to change or be dictated by the provider. It won't last as such when we start watching TV off the internet anyway.

The fix is simple. Just open the recorder architecture and the users might make something good out of this. A back channel can't be a bad idea in principle. In this case, it is not the technology that is awry, it is the business plan.

Andy Lippman
MIT Media Lab