Interesting People mailing list archives

Apple's Growing Army of Converts]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:16:45 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Apple's Growing Army of Converts
Date:   Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:34:50 -0500
From:   Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
To:     undisclosed-recipient:;

NOVEMBER 10, 2005

Byte of the Apple
By Arik Hesseldahl

Apple's Growing Army of Converts

Windows users are trying Macs in increasing numbers -- and it's not just a function of the iPod "halo effect

Nothing fires up a group of Mac users like the chance to score a convert -- except maybe the chance to offer an opinion on what Mac someone should buy.

I was reminded of this last week when a BusinessWeek colleague, Rob Hof, posted a comment on our Tech Beat blog saying he had decided to switch from using a notebook sporting Microsoft's (MSFT ) Windows to one of Apple's portables (see BW Online, 11/02/05, "Speaking of Apple...Some Advice?"). Hof asked readers to advise whether he should get an iBook or PowerBook. (I linked to his inquiry from our new Apple-centric blog, which is a companion to this column.)

MORE DEFECTORS? Comments poured in by the score -- many laced with anti-Microsoft invective, a few touting the virtues of the Linux operating system over Apple's (AAPL ) Mac OS, most analyzing the finer points of buying an iBook vs. a PowerBook. All of them were enthusiastic at the prospect of helping only one single person switch computing platforms.

But there's a bigger trend at play here. And Charles Wolf, a financial analyst at Needham & Co. in New York, discussed it in his latest research note on Apple. While downgrading the stock from to "hold" from "buy," based on the shares' recent price spike, Wolf noticed something else: a measurable surge in purchases of Macs by people who had previously been Windows users.

Wolf has created an interesting forecast model in which he assumes that 11% of Windows users who buy iPods also purchase Macs at the same time or soon afterward. The model also assumes that of these new Mac buyers most stick to the Mac platform and buy a second one when it comes time to upgrade. The conversions resulted in about a half million Macs purchased by Windows users in fiscal 2005. In all, Apple sold 4.5 million Macs in the period, vs. 3.3 million in 2004.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2005/tc20051110_197491.htm