Interesting People mailing list archives

Cisco Agrees to Buy Scientific-Atlanta for $6.9 Bln

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:08:15 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] re: Cisco Agrees to Buy Scientific-Atlanta for $6.9 Bln
Date:   Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:28:26 -0800
From:   Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
To:     Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Scott Berry.  DLH]

From: Scott Berry <sjb () optonline net>
Date: November 18, 2005 8:29:15 AM PST
To: dewayne () warpspeed com

Having read three distinct stories in the "major" media about this, I've yet
to see mention of this as anything more than a simple TV play.

Why aren't people talking about this more as Cisco's beachhead into the Home Media Hub market? It isn't such a difficult leap to see SetTop Box = Home Gateway. They have the in-home networking with Linksys, as well as the ATAs and VoIP phones. Plus, this move solidifies existing channels (and opens
new ones) to move those devices into homes.

Even without WiFi/STB or STB/VoIP type integrations, this seems like a good move for Cisco; but I can't imagine they won't try some integration in the future to make these boxes more complicated and improve the margins on them. In fact, the synergy possibilities are so good I'm surprised a Lucent or Nortel didn't do more to keep this out of Cisco's hands. No wonder Chambers
was willing to break his "no big mergers" rule.

Cisco can't help but tackle the consumer market. Their existing markets aren't big enough (and most are shrinking anyway) to sustain a company this
big with such a large Wall St.-driven growth mandate.

  Scott

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>