Interesting People mailing list archives

more on re: Ban corporate Skype usage immediately, says Info-Tech Research Group]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:17:22 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] re: Ban corporate Skype usage immediately, says Info-Tech Research Group
Date:   Tue, 15 Nov 2005 04:48:49 -0800
From:   Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
To:     Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Thomas Leavitt.  DLH]

From: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Date: November 13, 2005 11:31:38 PM PST
To: dewayne () warpspeed com

Dewayne,

While I understand and agree with the concerns regarding closed-source
encryption algorithms, it would seem that, with 17 million corporate
Skype users, and untold millions more personal users, any
vulnerabilities would have already been exposed and utilized... yet, to
date, I haven't heard of a single report of even a "skilled" cracker,
yet alone a "mediocre" one, exploiting Skype... have you? On the other
hand, I can name quite a few other pieces of widely deployed software
with known (and frequently exploited) security vulnerabilities that
remain in use throughout corporate America. So why single out Skype?

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>