Interesting People mailing list archives

UTenn Students' Private Information Posted on Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 20:58:33 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Randall <rvh40 () insightbb com>
Date: November 1, 2005 8:04:37 PM EST
To: Dave <dave () farber net>
Subject: UT Students' Private Information Posted on Internet

http://tinyurl.com/9622u

UT students' private data posted on the 'Net

The University of Tennessee notified about 1,900 students and employees
yesterday that their names and Social Security numbers inadvertently
were posted on the Internet.

"We have absolutely no indication that there has been any malicious
activity," said Brice Bible, UT's acting chief information officer.
"What we are doing is reporting to the individuals that (the problem)
potentially existed."

A University of Tennessee student made the discovery about two weeks ago
when she searched the Internet for her name and found it listed with her
Social Security number on a UT e-mail discussion group site.

"I shut it down immediately," Bible said of the site, which had been
operating since spring 2004.

The names were contained in the archive of a group of about 10 employees
in the bursar's office and the IT office who had been computer
conferencing. They had been exchanging information on individuals who
had either paid or owed small amounts of money to the university.

The group's address coding, or listserv, was improperly configured.
Instead of the archive being private, it was coded public.

The Identity Theft Resource Center, a nonprofit advocacy organization in
San Diego, said 110 identity information breaches have been reported to
the center this year — almost 60% of them at educational institutions.

— ASSOCIATED PRESS

-- "We've got the hatemongers who literally hate this president, and that
is so wrong. . . . The people who hate George Bush hate him because he's
a follower of Jesus Christ, unashamedly says so and applies his faith in
his day-to-day operations." -- Rev. Jerry Falwell, on C-SPAN's "Washington Journal"