Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Apple tries to patent 'tamper-resistant software']

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 11:56:18 -0500

lots of better prior art djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ben Laurie <ben () algroup co uk>
Date: November 12, 2005 8:21:22 AM EST
To: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah () shipwright com>
Cc: cryptography () metzdowd com
Subject: Re: [Clips] [dave () farber net: [IP] Apple tries to patent 'tamper-resistant software']

R. A. Hettinga wrote:
  In its application, Apple describes a means of securing code using
  either a specific hardware address or read-only memory (ROM) serial
  number. Apple also talks about securing the code while interchanging
  information among multiple operating systems. Mac OS X, Windows and
  Linux are called out specifically in the filing.

I'd normally suggest finding prior art for this, since its a technique
that's been in use for decades, at least, but in this case I'm quite
happy to see the whole field become a morass of patents.

  "This invention relates generally to the field of computer data
  processing and more particularly to techniques for creating tamper-
  resistant software," Apple says in its patent filing. Specifically,
  Apple refers to the technique of "code obfuscation," in which
software makers employ techniques that make it harder for those using
  debuggers or emulators to figure out how a particular block of code
  is working.

Will they never learn?