Interesting People mailing list archives

more on November mini-AIR - Not Valid in Kansas

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:23:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Rosenberg <bob () bobrosenberg phoenix az us>
Date: November 13, 2005 1:23:54 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: November mini-AIR - Not Valid in Kansas

Dave

Perhaps for IP.

The way I address people like the folks on the Kansas State Board of Education
is with this short little essay:

Evolution is 'only' a Theory.

When engaged in conversation by someone arguing for 'Intelligent Design' or 'Creationism', I respond thusly [it's better aloud, with appropriate emphasis,
than it is on paper -- but, it works on paper]:

Evolution is 'only' a Theory. Some people will tell you that a theory, "... is
just somebody's idea of what 'might' happen".

Well, Evolution is 'only' a Theory.

The dictionary says that a theory is, "the analysis of a set of facts in their
relation to one another".

So, Evolution is 'only' a Theory. Evolution is 'only', "the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another". That means Evolution is 'only' a
discussion of the existing empirical evidence.

Anyone who has difficulty understanding that concept is welcome to discuss it further with me. I will suggest to them that we continue the discussion at the 'so-called' Trinity Site in New Mexico. I choose that location because I know some of the same people who say that, "Evolution is 'only' a Theory" (that Evolution is just somebody's idea of what 'might' happen") actually believe
that if you bring together, in a small dense enough mass, some so-called
'enriched' Uranium it will spontaneously explode. They even have a name for this 'Theoretical' idea: The name they have for it is a 'so called' "Atomic
Bomb".

However, we all know that Relativity is also 'only' a Theory.  It's just
somebody's idea of what 'might' happen.

Relativity is 'only' a Theory -- Just like Evolution. "It's just somebody's
idea of what 'might' happen" -- just like a 'so called' "Atomic Bomb".

Oh, BTW, the warning stickers are very funny (altho quite saddening and
frustrating). However, as a pedant, I must protest that the term 'as per' is pleonastic, tautological, redundant, repetitive and says the same thing more
than once.

Grammatically, the correct usage is 'per order of the Board of Education....'

I hope the stickers will be corrected so some of us will be comfortable using
them.

Cordially,

Bob Rosenberg
P.O. Box 33023
Phoenix, AZ  85067-3023
LandLine:  (602)274-3012
Mobile:  (602)206-2856
bob () bobrosenberg phoenix az us

The responsibility of ministers for the public safety is absolute, and requires no mandate. It is in fact the prime object for which governments come into
existence.

-- Winston Churchill

Begin forwarded message:

2005-11-06 Not Valid in Kansas

Many things are no longer valid in Kansas, thanks to the November
8, 2005 mandate by the Kansas State Board of Education.

As a public service, we have created warning stickers that say:

        NOT VALID IN KANSAS
        as per order of the Board of Education,
        November 8, 2005

        Use of this device or substance may
        require, imply, and/or endorse the existence
        of one or more of the following:
        chemistry; evolution; electromagnetism;
        gravity; mathematics; thermodynamics;
        education.

You can download a printable PDF file:
<http://www.improbable.com/teach/lessons2005/NOT-VALID-
INKANSAS.pdf>.

NOTE: The Kansas Board of Education is co-winner of the 1999 Ig
Nobel Prize for Science Education for its earlier work on this
subject.