Interesting People mailing list archives

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:03:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: November 11, 2005 10:23:31 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study

[Note:  This item comes from reader Robert Berger.  DLH]

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Date: November 11, 2005 4:44:33 PM PST
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, Dave Farber <dave () farber net> Subject: On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study

Ali Rahimi1, Ben Recht 2, Jason Taylor 2, Noah Vawter 2

1: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department, MIT.
2: Media Laboratory, MIT.

<http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/>

Abstract

Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as
the protective measure of choice against invasive radio
signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet
designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000
network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets
attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either
emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium
of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly
amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands
reserved for government use according to the Federal
Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the
use of helmets may in fact enhance the government's invasive
abilities. We speculate that the government may in fact have
started the helmet craze for this reason.

<snip>

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>