Interesting People mailing list archives

Sony's DRM now for Macs too

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:42:23 -0500

Better yet, dont buy Sony music

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Date: November 11, 2005 5:20:03 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Sony's DRM now for Macs too

Sony's DRM now for Macs too
Posted Nov 11, 2005, 7:00 AM ET by Victor Agreda, Jr.
http://www.tuaw.com/2005/11/11/sonys-drm-now-for-macs-too/

Looks like Sony's DRM rootkit, loved by all, has been ported to
the Mac. (http://www.macintouch.com/#tip.2005.11.10.sony)
Sort of. Seems Sony has put a little installer which,
upon entering your username and password, will happily install a
couple of kernel extensions into your OS. Remember the names
PhoenixNub1.kext and PhoenixNub12.kext, because those two
naughty boys will be under the microscope over the next few
days. They are made by the good folks at SunnComm, who can
apparently hear the future...

I'd agree with Darren Dittrich's concern over kernel extensions
in general. But just because a EULA says they're going to
install them, doesn't make it right. If I tell you I'm going to
mug you, that doesn't go too far in court either. So I'm never
going to complain about an app not being developed for the Mac
again. Apparently there's always time for the DRM. Just remember
folks, never give your username and password to strangers.