Interesting People mailing list archives

Jim Harper on how anti-RFID'ers harm immigrants, the poor (and public libraries) [priv]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:15:09 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: November 9, 2005 12:38:45 PM EST
To: politech () politechbot com
Subject: [Politech] Jim Harper on how anti-RFID'ers harm immigrants, the poor (and public libraries) [priv]

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/11/09/rfid-protesters-target/

My own views on RFID regulation, if anyone's terribly interested:
http://news.com.com/Don't+regulate+RFID--yet/2010-1039_3-5327719.html

I also received a message from a library director at a public library that I've been asked not to post verbatim. To summarize it, they're planning to replace bar code and security tags with RFID tags within the next three years. That will let librarians check out a pile of books without opening each one -- and also put a scanner in the book return slot too.

One huge benefit is to staff ergonomics (that's a lot of book handling eliminated). The RFID tag does not contain any information about the book or patron, just a unique ID like a barcode -- only numbers.

A boycott-worthy "spychip?" Or a way to help librarians avoid carpal tunnel injuries, save money, and use their budgets to actually buy more books?

-Declan