Interesting People mailing list archives

more on A missing package

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:56:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brock Meeks <Brock.Meeks () msnbc com>
Date: November 8, 2005 12:24:57 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] A missing package

Oh no! Scary personal information available at the click of a mouse... available via the scary Internet!! What's next, child predators waiting to snatch our kids right in front of their monitors?! (Oh, right, TIME magazine already warned us of that a zillion years ago...)

I mean give me a break here. The author of this message is too breathless. This kind of information from the public tax rolls has been "out there" and available since before Jobs and Woz were sneaking peeks at discarded Playboys they dug out of the dumpster behind the 7-11.

I'm just old enough to remember when reporters actually had to get off their a** and do "real" reporting that involved more physical movement other than a couple clicks of the mouse. Yeah, you had to go to the county clerk's office, walk up a flight of stairs to the taxation office and dig through--wait for it--paper records! (The horror... the horror...)

But all this same information was there, always has been. I don't want to discount the very real problem of personal information theft or the potential abuse of personal information stored on databases, but ke-ripes, this message borders on hysteria and reminds me of those wacko articles of years past we've all seen (and snickered at) that showed up on the front page of the New York Times about some evil of the Internet. "Bomb making material found online!" "Phony Drugs available from Internet Drug Stores!" -- Ok, the Times never used an exclamation point, I made that part up...

My point is: let's save the nail-biting and worry-warting for a REAL problem... like the FBI putting the screws to librarians in order to get records of their patrons computer usage.

Good night... and good luck.

--Brock