Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Windows users switching to Macs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:39:53 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Warren Magnus <wmagnus () samespace com>
Date: November 7, 2005 5:15:06 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Windows users switching to Macs

David:

I am writing as a heretic, I know. I am a Mac user who is straddling the fence more all the time and looking seriously toward a Windows based laptop. My office is currently populated exclusively by 3 G4 Powerbooks of various vintages and an older g3 Mac that is my mail server running custom tweaked OSX. That said, I like OSX at it's core. I live with a terminal window open almost all time taking in all the Unixy goodness.

What has compelled me to write is that I can no longer stand the contention that OSX is fast. It is NOT fast. Apple's wait cursor (the Spinning Pizza of Death or SPoD) is a regular resident of the screen of even the fastest Powerbook. I have custom tweaked the Window server and killed the most notable memory and speed hogging apps, which remarkably means doing without things many users rave about such as Dashboard. Even with these tweaks, I find myself watching the SPoD all to often while changing applications or even using apps such as Photoshop (mind you, 1 GB should be plenty). Any app, even Apple's own can SPoD without warning creating UI delays and painful disruptions in productivity. This is, of course, to say nothing of the UI lag created by totally unnecessary eye candy. If this isn't fixed as Apple moves to Intel, this propensity to plod along will be apparent when an XP machine and Mac sit side by side.

I have dutifully hidden for years the fact that a number of the financial models that I rely on don't really work in Excel for OSX without serious coaxing. Word for the Macintosh is visually pretty but punishing to use. Web content that has any dependency on Windows Media player is a crap shoot. And there is no sure fire way to reach web sites that don't work in Firefox. IE for the Mac is broken and no longer under development. Safari has many shortcomings as well. The number of other apps that work halfway or simply don't exist at all is pretty significant.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Macs when they work like they are supposed to, but all too often I find myself cursing the slowness. I rebooted an ancient Powerbook running at 400 MHz into OS 9 (Apple's last pre-Unix release) and it screamed when compared to OSX running on the newest 1.5+ GHz hardware. No snazzy Unix core, no command line, no whizzy metal or jelly windows, but it was fast. Something is seriously wrong here and fast OSX isn't.

Choose it because you fear viri. Choose it to be hip. Choose it because you want to stick it to the man. Choose for any reason you like so long as you don't choose OSX because it's fast.

-Warren Magnus