Interesting People mailing list archives

more on any references

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:08:43 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bradley Malin <malin () cs cmu edu>
Date: November 7, 2005 10:16:37 AM EST
To: spaf () cerias purdue edu, mcpherso () purdue edu
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] any references

What a great topic!  However (and I rarely say this), it appears the
topic may be too narrow.  Rather than concentrate on armed conflicts and
disasters per se, it seems that you are really interested (and correct
me if I'm wrong) on the issues of privacy in the face of safety and
disaster prevention.  To me, this segways directly into issues of
national security.

In this respect, I would begin with Alan Westin's survey of consumer
privacy trends both before and after 9-11.  You can find a copy of his
presentation from the 2003 CASRO Conference here:

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/advantages/pubs/ DNC_AlanWestinConsumersPrivacyandSurveyResearch.pdf

Also, for a historical account of privacy in the face of technology,
some of which relates to government desire to protect the populace, you
may want to look into Robert Ellis Smith's following book:

Robert Ellis Smith. Ben Franklin's Web Site: Privacy and Curiosity From
Plymouth Rock to the Internet. Privacy Journal. 2000.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0930072146/102-0807333-0796954? v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

Alternatively, and this may not be exactly what you are looking for, but
when considering "disasters", you may be interested in studying the
protection of health records in the face of emergency medical / first
response needs.

For example, the Department of Health and Human Services published HIPAA
adherence guidelines for the Katrina Relief Effort:
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/EnforcementStatement.pdf

Also, in the face of disasters, there has been a push in the US
government for electronic medical records .  And the Markle Foundation
did a recent survey on what consumers want in EMR's, which stressed privacy:
Article: http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/37285-1.html
Document:
http://www.markle.org/downloadable_assets/flo_sustain_healtcare_rpt.pdf

There was also a study done at the emergency rooms in NYU's medical
center regarding perceived privacy given various physical protections.
Barlas D, Sama AE, Ward MF, Lesser ML. Comparison of the auditory and
visual privacy of emergency department treatment areas with curtains
versus those with solid walls. Ann Emerg Med. 2001 Aug;38(2):135-9.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi? cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11468607&dopt=Abstract

Nonetheless, personal perceptions on privacy must be taken with a grain
of salt.  As Alessandro Acquisti's work in the economics of privacy has
shown, people tend to be willing to give up privacy for immediate
gratification.  So think about the implications - if a government offers
a person $100 today for access to all of your electronic records for the
rest of their life, then it's possible a significant portion of the
population would give up their rights to this information:
Acquisti A. Privacy in Electronic Commerce and the Economics of
Immediate Gratification. Proceedings of ACM Electronic Commerce
Conference (EC 04). New York, NY: ACM Press, 21-29, 2004.
http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/~acquisti/papers/privacy-gratification.pdf

regards,

Brad

Bradley Malin, PhD Candidate
  Carnegie Mellon University
    School of Computer Science
      Institute for Software Research, International
        http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~malin

Begin forwarded message: