Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Papers, Please: Real ID = National ID Card

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 10:13:33 -0400

Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 17:10:58 -0700
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Papers, Please: Real ID = National ID Card
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Perhaps more to the point, since passage of Real ID appears to be a
virtual certainty, concerned persons should be prepared to engage
where possible in support of the various court challenges to Real ID
(on numerous different grounds) that thankfully will certainly
follow.

Of course, if Frist and his minions get their way, they'll populate
the judiciary with their sycophants deluxe -- the goal being to turn
the federal courts into rubber stamps for Frist's particularly
intolerant distortion of patriotism.

"For the safety and glory of the Homeland -- your papers, please."

And to think, exactly sixty years ago we were celebrating victory
over a regime where internal passports and identity papers were
foundations for a repressive lifestyle that was supposed to last for
a thousand years.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () eepi org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, EEPI
  - Electronic Entertainment Policy Initiative - http://www.eepi.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -