Interesting People mailing list archives

CAUTION IN THE USE OF SKYPE IF YOU BUY ADDITIONAL SERVICES

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 09:43:11 -0400

When I purchased SkypeOut I was offered two ways of paying. One was Paypal and one was MoneyBookers. Since I do not like paypal I chose Moneybookers. They offered to accept Visa and Mastercard so I purchased a 10 Euro Skyout and a 10 Euro SkypeIn.

When I received my credit card statement I was SHOCKED to see a $10 x 2 charge for Cash Advance Finance Charge. I called Mastercard and was told that it is often the case that foreign firms use foreign banks to process the credit card fee and that they consider that a cash advance and charge that fee in the USA.

I asked how to I tell whether a charge made either over the internet or in person in Europe will be subjected to the $10 fee and I was told there is NO way of knowing without asking the company how they process the charge. BAH.

Why did not Skype tell me I was to be RIPPED off!!!.

Annoyed

Dave