Interesting People mailing list archives

raw deal more on Tech: A 'hostile environment' for US natives????

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 15:29:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rushabh Doshi <radoshi () cs stanford edu>
Date: May 5, 2005 9:14:10 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Tech: A 'hostile environment' for US natives????

Dear Prof. Farber,

I wonder why the H1Bs get such a bad rap (I am an H1B holder myself).

From an H1B's perspective, things are stacked against us. We're on a 6
year death-timer, after which we cannot stay here any longer or have
to play visa games with the INS. We cannot apply for any government
jobs that require any sort of security clearance. A lot of companies
will hire permanent residents (green card holders) or citizens only.

We're not "stealing" jobs away from our American (or green-card-holder
and above) counterparts - we compete for the same jobs at the same
salary levels. We don't work for less money because a company is
sponsoring an H1 visa. If anything, we get the raw end of the deal -
we pay regular tax, but don't get to vote (taxation without
representation, some countries went to war over this), we pay
social-security taxes but don't get the benefits if we leave.  Most of
us make major remittances to family back home as well. Which is all
_fine_ with us.

Outsourcing jobs to India or China or anywhere else hurts H1B holders
just as much as any citizen or green-card-holder. In fact, it
probabaly hurts the H1B a lot more - given two candidates who are
equal in all respects, a company is more likely to hire a citizen /
GCH since they don't have to bother with the time and money hassles
involved in dealing with the INS.

H1B caps and making the Green Card process more difficult will only
hurt the US in the future. Our countries have been complaining of
"brain drain" for a long time. The reason is obvious: the brightest
and smartest students in our countries aspire to come to the US for
education. After they're done, the next steps are a good job, a green
card and eventual citizenship. What do you have in the end? - a nation
that constitutes some of the brightest minds from the planet.

Now you make it very difficult to get a green card and kick people out
if they don't have one. India and China and other countries that once
complained of brain drain should rejoice - they're going to get some
of their people-capital back. Not only that, US employees should fear
their jobs even more - the people that you just kicked out are going
to go back and become part of Indian or Chinese or other native
companies that are not interested in doing simply "outsourced" work
but a company that competes on a global scale with the likes of
Microsoft and Oracle. After all, its the internet, and moving a few
"bits" of your product across the wire to your market is not very
expensive.

The US immigration policy is (seemingly) all screwed up. The US makes
it incredibly hard for a normal, hard-working,
never-done-anything-wrong person to become a citizen and does
everything it can to make that person go away. Having a somewhat
looser immigration policy in the past has helped the US become the
giant that it is. Tightening this policy and kicking people out is
like tightening the noose around the giant's neck (bad analogy, but
I'm not very good at those).

Thank you,
-Rushabh

PS: These opinions are strictly personal and do not represent those of
my employer or of anyone other than myself.