Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Free Speech fading at UC Berkeley

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 12:27:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall () gmail com>
Date: May 4, 2005 12:14:27 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Free Speech fading at UC Berkeley

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>

UC Berkeley now requires permission to receive TCP connections at any
port on any computer.  This policy is typical of "locked down"
corporations, but now applies to all parts of UC Berkeley, including CS.

After speaking to a couple sysadmins here on campus, none of us are
aware of such a policy.  Mr. Reed, is there another source other than
the satn article for this?  I do remember reading somewhere how a set
of default firewall rules would be rolled out to the dorms (making a
few people unhappy, nontheless!), but have seen nothing that would
affect us here at SIMS or at CS.

(I could very well have missed this if recent!)

thanks, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
UC Berkeley, SIMS PhD Student

This email is written in [markdown][]; an easily-readable and
parseable text format.
[markdown]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/