Interesting People mailing list archives

more on INTERESTING ARGUMENTS DJF The Myth of Scarcity, or Verizon-MCI is Doomed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 10:14:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Innes <innesj () i-2000 com>
Date: May 4, 2005 12:00:14 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on INTERESTING ARGUMENTS DJF The Myth of Scarcity, or Verizon-MCI is Doomed

Excellent commentary, right on the mark. My partner and I run wireless site
infrastructure development firm, doing both antenna site acquisition and
microwave for cell site backhaul and backbone applications for clients such as Verizon Wireless and Cingular Wireless. I spend a lot of time in front
of zoning boards and cantankerous citizens, explaining to them that RF
technology is not going to become miniaturized like microprocessors, and
that cell sites at 850 and 1900 MHz will not some day be shrunken down to the size of small streetlight fixtures, and so you will still need to have
unattractive towers if you expect to keep on using your cell phones and
PDAs. Any time someone starts talking about the Moore's Law of anything
besides microprocessors, I cease reading or listening in any serious way.
Thanks again for a fresh dose of reality.

Best regards,

Jim Innes
Wireless Access Technologies
4217 Ridge Ave. #2