Interesting People mailing list archives

more on INTERESTING ARGUMENTS DJF The Myth of Scarcity, or Verizon-MCI is Doomed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 10:09:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent () guerby net>
Date: May 3, 2005 6:38:26 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on INTERESTING ARGUMENTS DJF The Myth of Scarcity, or Verizon-MCI is Doomed

From: vijay gill <vgill () vijaygill com>
Date: May 3, 2005 5:55:24 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on INTERESTING ARGUMENTS DJF The Myth of
Scarcity, or Verizon-MCI is Doomed

[...]

The ilecs/cablecos have the pipes to the end user, and thus can and
will dominate _in the current regulatory environment_. Having tried to
go down the route of using telco unbundled loops to provide service in
previous jobs, it was simply not going to happen. The ilecs had
absolutely
no incentive to play fair, up to and including union people cutting
fibers.

[...]

FYI, in France regulators added hedty fines when the incumbent telco
didn't play fair with the new entrants (they have a delay to respect for
unbundling, etc...), and fixed last miles leasing prices by looking at
the incumbent accounting books for the past N years and state
of the competition - currently set at 9.5 euros per month per unbundled
line.

I cut all links with the former public monopoly telco last week, for
29.99 euros per month VAT included I have effective 11 Mbit/s down, 0.8
Mbit/s up, fixed IP address (possible reverse DNS to my own domain if I
choose it), no port or traffic restrictions, unlimited free national
phone calls to fixed lines in France and could watch a few dozen TV over
DSL channels if I had a TV and choosed to pay 116 euros/year French
public TV tax. My phone is 1440 meters from the telco central.

Cities and regions can own lines at their choice and lease them to
telcos, regulatory environment is being setup for wimax, again probably
allowing the same public and/or private system. There are of course
a few lawsuits between telcos, between telco and local governments,
etc..., but overall things are going fine.

French regulator site with DSL and unbundling statistics (in french):
http://www.art-telecom.fr/

Laurent