Interesting People mailing list archives

more on end Dell - Extortion? - RESOLUTION

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:38:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Art Wolinsky <awolinsky () oii org>
Date: May 31, 2005 6:18:12 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Dell - Extortion? - RESOLUTION

I'm happy to report that the situation has been resolved and neither extortion nor nefarious deeds are the case. Unfortunately, a lack of expertise at both levels of tech support I dealt with is definitely the case.

After the two messages to IP and a barrage of replies off list, I decided I would definitely have to pursue the matter, but wanted to make sure Dell had the opportunity to respond appropriately. To that end I contacted our regional educational sales manager. I knew he was not the person to resolve the issue, but knowing him I knew he would see that it reached the proper place. That in fact is exactly what transpired. After talking with him and explaining the situation, my message was passed up the chain.

At 3:00 while I was out I received two calls from Dell. When I got home, I returned the calls, left messages and a few minutes later received a call from a gentleman from Americas Client Services Resolution Expert Center. After explaining the problem to him, he felt that it was most likely a case of corruption of the uninstall software and suggested I download 2.0 reinstall it and then try to uninstall it.

He gave me the link and I did as he suggested. The interesting thing is that when I ran the install, the wizard gave me only one choice, namely REMOVE. I clicked the button and the software was removed. Needless to say, I'm pleased with the outcome, but not pleased with the quality of tech support Dell is providing their users, especially at $50 a pop. Had this been the only incident, I would simply pass it on, but my last three calls to Dell support are on par with this incident and others are equally frustrating, but not theater of the absurd. However, I'm not here to bash Dell so I won't detail them.

For those who are also having problems removing Dell Support 2.0 here's what I suggest.
1) Go to <http://www.support.dell.com>http://www.support.dell.com
2) In the search box type - dell support software 2.0 download and install
3) Search the results and find software for your model type.
4) Download and try to install... Hopefully it will give you the option to REMOVE it. If instead it installs it, try to uninstall it after it installs.

Incidentally, at the Dell site there are instructions on how to remove Dell 3.0 software. It indicates simple use of the Add and Remove Programs feature. So if 3.0 installs on your machine before you read this, you should be able to remove it or use the same process as above.

Interestingly enough, the tech who solved my problem was Dave. Kudos to Dave and Dave for helping me in my quest.

I can't tell you how relieved I am not to have to go into battle mode or spend countless hours trying to resolve the issue. I have far better ways to spend my time.

Thanks to all who responded to me off list. Your help was invaluable and greatly appreciated. Relating to Dell some of the stories you related to me clearly demonstrated to them that their uninstall software gets corrupted for more than they realized.

Best to all!

Art Wolinsky

 Art Wolinsky
 OII Technology Director      http://oii.org
 awolinsky () oii org             (609) 597-9481 ext 337
I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
I will surely learn a great deal today.